Wednesday, September 30, 2009

WORD FOR THE DAY - EXCULPATE

Greetings friends, another day of our lives has just about passed; they pass very quickly, the older I get.

It was very cool this morning, again; so nice.  I had to watch my great grandchild again today as the other grandmother had something come up.  That's okay; as I said yesterday, she's a joy to watch.  She was much more animated today than yesterday.  I got some really cute video of her on my camera which I'll put on iPhoto; they'll really show up there and I'll be able to hear what I said to her and hear  her trying to talk.

I was going to spend this whole day making jewelry, but I can do that tomorrow.  I did manage to find some components that I'll order to make Christmas jewelry.  I don't really want to make Christmas jewelry but someone asked me to and so I will; I like to keep my customers happy.

 I so enjoy my kitchen.  I have a dinette in it with eight large windows and I can see a lot of wildlife from these windows.  When we built our house, over thirty-three years ago, we placed it further back than the other homes so that when we looked from out bedroom window, we could see my neighbor's back yard, which is full of azaleas and dogwoods.  The first spring here, we looked out and thought we were in heaven.

When I look out of my kitchen windows, all I see is grass, garden, swimming pool and woods.   It's really a beautiful sight in the spring as there are numerous azaleas and dogwoods in the woods and on our back lot.  It's really pretty in the fall, also.  Years ago, I planted a sugar maple, at a strategic spot, for the express purpose of seeing the leaves turn in the fall.  It goes from tan to reddish to totally gold.  I wrote a poem about it years ago.  Would you like to read it?  Here goes.

                            The maple tree in my backyard
                            Is a beautiful sight to see
                            Its leaves are mostly gold
                            A lovely, golden tree

                            I planted this tree, so that I could look
                            From my kitchen window and see
                            In the fall of the year, the beautiful colors
                            That grace my maple tree

                             Each morning, as I look at my tree
                             Its leaves are fewer and few
                             Allowing me, to finally see
                             The shape of its limbs showing through.

                             When I look at my tree, one day I know
                             The leaves will no longer be there.
                              But I and my tree, know that Spring will return
                              And leaves, once again, it will bear.

                               So, I'll gaze from my kitchen window
                               At my beautiful maple tree
                               And anxiously await the spring of the year
                               When its leaves, once again, I will see.

I see from my notes that I wrote this poem at 12:30 PM on 11/15/96.   I can't believe it's been that long since I've written any poetry.  I was home schooling my granddaughter during this time.  I really loved doing it and loved learning new things but she wasn't too happy about it.  When we started doing poetry,  it seemed as if a door just opened in my mind and all of these words came pouring out.  I wrote a lot of poetry in 1996; I wonder why I stopped?  I think I ran out of things to write about.   I don't have time to write poetry these days, I'm much too busy doing other things.  My poems are not very eloquent, but that's okay.  I write what comes into my head.  I've aged since 1996 and think my poems would be a lot different now.

Well, my frozen entree beckons.  It's time to fire up the oven, slit the top of the container and cook on 350 degrees for thirty minutes.  I don't know yet what the entree will be.  I'll have to see what I'm in the mood for.  I'll eat a tossed salad with it and have a nice glass of iced tea, decaffeinated of course.  I ate my yummy chocolate pudding too late last night and didn't get to sleep until 1:00 AM.  I need to start taking my own advice.  Be blessed - Pat




                              
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment